Hi there, this is Ben Ridley here to share with you about our exciting new addition to our home. Now, before your minds get carried away, I’ll save you the suspense and let you know right away that it is a DIY project. For years, Ruthie and I have talked about the possibility of building a barn style table. After much blood, sweat, and thankfully no tears, our dreams have come true. Let me just preface this by saying, I don’t consider myself to be an amazing woodworker by any means. Besides from the platform bed and headboard that I recently built, this is only my second project working with wood in this form. All my experience up to this point has been in structural construction which usually ends up being covered with drywall. Having said that though, I cannot wait to begin my next project! I think I am addicted.
Being the planner that I am, I spent months scouring the internet for the perfect blueprint. I ended my search with the design I found on a YouTube channel called LRN2DIY. They also have a website you can check out for other great DIY projects here.
If you’re a visual learner like me, watching a video first helps immensely.
Its a Biblical principle that a workman is only as good as his tools, to which I can definitely attest to. With that being said, I would like to give a big shoutout to Home Depot for sponsoring this project and providing me with the amazing tools that I used.
Now lets get into the nitty-gritty and talk about the lumber that I used. One thing to also keep in mind is that most big hardware stores will make your cuts for you.
Base: 4″ x 6″ Lumber
1’ 9” – 4
1’ 1” – 2
2’ 8” – 2
3’ – 2
4″ x 4″ Lumber
5’ – 1
2″ x 4″ Lumber
3’ 9” – 2
Top: 2″ x 12″ Douglas Fir
7’ 9” – 4
2″ x 4″ Lumber
3’ 6” – 2
2″ x 2″ Lumber
7’ 9” – 2
Once I had all my cuts laid out, I started with the base assembly. I used 6” x 3/8” lag bolts to attached the legs. These were a bit of a bear to screw in and I highly recommend using a an impact driver drill. After completing the base I then began working on the top of the table. I attached the 2 x 12’s using wood glue and pocket screws. I used the 2 x 4’s as a nice little end cap for the table and then the 2 x 2’s ran along the length for my skirt.
Next came the labor intensive part…Sanding! I started off using a belt sander to level the surface as best I could. Then I switched over to my orbital sander and went from a 60 grit sand paper all the way up to 220 grit. I gave the base a light sanding as well but I wasn’t too concerned with making it as smooth as the top.
Finally it was time to stain. We decided to use a Dark Walnut stain by Miniwax. After applying 2 coats I finished it off with 2 coats of with Minwax Satin Polyurethane. Ruthie and I carried our new table into our dining room and I then attached the top to the bottom using 4 1/2” lag screws.
Tools and Supplies:
Milwaukee 18v Cordless Lithium-Ion 1/2 in. Drill Driver and 1/4 in. Impact Driver
Ryobi 10 in. Table Saw
Ryobi 12 in. Sliding Miter Saw
Ryobi 5″ Orbital Sander
Ryobi 3” Belt Sander
Ryobi 3-1/4 in. Corded Hand Planer
3/8” x 6” Lag Bolts
3” Wood Screws•
Kreg R3 Jr. Pocket Hole System
Kreg 1 1/2” Pocket Screws
Gorilla Wood Glue
What an experience this has been! The table ended up measuring in at 8’ long and is an absolute beast! The benches I ended up building seat 5 adults comfortably and was another fun and easy project. Ruthie recently had a tea party and was able to seat 13 women comfortably at the table just for an idea of the size! She is happy, we are all happy and I can’t stop building. She is addicted to fashion and blogging and I am addicted to building! Ps. Feel free to leave any specific questions for me in the comments! I am happy to answer them all
*Special thanks to Home Depot for sponsoring this post, providing equipment, tools and supplies. All opinions remain my own.
All Photos By: Nicole Quiroz Photography